Healthcare services at the University College Hospital (UCH) were partially disrupted on Sunday as doctors and nurses commenced a strike to protest the rising cases of violence against healthcare workers within the facility.
The industrial action, led by the Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors (NARD) and the National Association of Nigerian Nurses and Midwives (NANNM), UCH Chapter, followed an incident at the hospital’s Accident and Emergency Unit where two doctors and a nurse were allegedly assaulted after the death of a critically ill patient.
An officer in the hospital’s Public Relations Office, a security officer and other staff members were also reportedly verbally abused during the confrontation.
Speaking on the development, NARD President, Dr Uthman Adedeji, condemned the attacks and warned that persistent assaults on healthcare personnel could severely affect service delivery in hospitals.
According to him, the patient had been admitted in a critical condition and the family was informed from the onset about the severity of the illness.
“Unfortunately, after more than 24 hours on admission, the patient passed away despite all interventions,” Adedeji said.
He alleged that the deceased patient’s brother, identified as Mr Sharafa Oyenigba, physically assaulted a nurse inside the resuscitation bay before attacking doctors and other hospital workers who attempted to intervene.
“The assault on the nurse was repeated several times. When the doctor on duty stepped in, the attacker tore his clothes and beat him up,” he said.
Adedeji further claimed that the suspect remained defiant even after being arrested and taken to the police station.
He stressed that while patients and relatives have the right to express dissatisfaction with hospital services, violence against healthcare workers should never be tolerated.
“There are established channels for complaints. Assaulting healthcare workers is completely unacceptable,” he stated.
The NARD president also disclosed that attacks on staff members had become frequent at the hospital, noting that another doctor and a security officer were assaulted in separate incidents within the past week.
Also reacting, Chairman of NANNM, UCH Chapter, Matron Olufunmilola Fanimu, described the attacks as dangerous, dehumanising and unacceptable.
“Nurses are always at the point of care. We condemn every act of violence against nurses and healthcare providers,” she said.
Fanimu explained that the three-day warning strike was intended to draw attention to the dangers healthcare workers face daily while carrying out their duties.
“Violence can be physical or verbal. The moment you speak abusively to a healthcare worker, you are already committing violence,” she added.
She warned that continued attacks on medical professionals could further worsen the migration of doctors and nurses abroad in search of safer working conditions.
Meanwhile, eyewitnesses said the suspect is currently being detained at the Yemetu Police Station in Ibadan.
Efforts to obtain an official response from the management of the University College Hospital were unsuccessful at the time of filing this report.

























