Residents of parts of Kwara have been thrown into fear following a deadly attack by armed men on worshippers attending a night vigil in Ekiti Local Government Area, where three persons were killed and 15 others abducted.
The attack reportedly occurred late Saturday at Ori-Oke Ajaiye, a remote prayer ground near Ikiran Village along the Ikerin/Ajuba corridor.
According to residents, worshippers had gathered for an overnight prayer session when heavily armed assailants stormed the area, firing gunshots that forced villagers and worshippers to flee into nearby bushes.
A resident who spoke anonymously said the attack created confusion across the community, with many families spending hours searching for missing relatives.
“People were running in different directions because of the gunshots. Some families could not locate their relatives until this morning,” the resident said.
The Kwara State Police Command confirmed the incident in a statement issued on Sunday by the command’s spokesperson, Adetoun Ejire-Adeyemi.
The statement quoted the Commissioner of Police, Adekimi Ojo, as condemning the attack and describing it as a brutal assault on innocent worshippers.
“The Kwara State Police Command strongly condemns the gruesome attack, killing and abduction of innocent worshippers by armed criminals at Ori-Oke Ajaiye on the outskirts of Ikiran Village in Ekiti Local Government Area,” the statement said.
Police said the attack was reported by Pastor Adebayo Abiodun of Ijo Ajaye Ati Igbala, Ekerin Village, who was leading members of his church during the vigil when the gunmen invaded the prayer ground.
According to the police, the attackers opened fire sporadically before abducting several worshippers to an unknown destination.
Authorities confirmed that three persons lost their lives during the attack, while 15 others were kidnapped.
The command disclosed that officers attached to the Ekiti Division responded immediately after receiving distress calls from the area.
“Upon receipt of the distress report, the Divisional Police Officer, Ekiti Division, immediately mobilised operatives to the scene,” the commissioner stated.
The police further revealed that a large-scale rescue operation involving tactical teams, intelligence units, the Police Mobile Force and drone surveillance teams had been launched to rescue the victims and track down the attackers.
“A comprehensive tactical and intelligence-driven operation involving the Police Drone Team, PMF personnel, Intelligence Units and other operational assets has been deployed for a coordinated rescue mission,” the statement added.
The police commissioner assured residents that security agencies were intensifying operations across the affected communities and surrounding forests to ensure the abducted victims regain freedom safely.
“The command is fully committed to ensuring the rescue of all victims and the arrest of the perpetrators behind the heinous act,” he said.
The command also appealed to residents to remain calm and support security agencies with useful information that could aid ongoing investigations and rescue efforts.
The latest attack has heightened concerns over rising insecurity and repeated attacks on rural communities and worship centres in Kwara South.



























